Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Location Update

Well, I've taken a break from the blog since I am now back in California, and I couldn't decide whether to keep up with writing while I am away from England for this indeterminate period.

My tourist visa ran out and D and I aren't quite ready for the marriage commitment, so with the Tier 1 visa option closed to me for the time being, my only option was to return home. D and I haven't lived together long enough to qualify for the co-habitating partners option. Luckily, my sister has headed to Singapore for 2 months for work, so she has graciously lent me her apartment in San Francisco for the time being.

It's great to be back here in a city that I love, and the sun has not really stopped shining since I've been back, but I really miss D and our dogs, and the routine of our life there together. D is still in England for the time being, looking after the doggies and trying to find a new project for his electrical company. Once he gets everyone sorted out over there, he hopes to come over here in May and join me for awhile, but it's hardest not having a date on the calendar yet!

We are surviving on Skype calls once a day and some text messaging, but it's no substitute for the real thing. I met a cute Canadian girl last week (while we were both enjoying some frozen yogurt in the sunshine) who was visiting her Canadian boyfriend--she's in Toronto and he's been here for the last 3 years! Yikes!

I know I'm not the only one out there struggling with the downsides of an international long-distance relationship. Anyone have any suggestions?? I'd love to hear your inspiring, happy-endings right about now! ;)

4 comments:

  1. Did you see that the rules are changing for tier 1 visas the first week of April? There's a comment in your lawyer post with a link. I'm wondering if you will qualify?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the note--the rules indeed did change for the Tier 1 UK Visa on April 1st; however, I no longer qualify for the visa under the prior earnings category since I have not been employed full time for over 15 months. I'd have to work here in the USA for at least 8-10 months as an attorney before having enough funds to qualify again, and that won't work in my case :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. :) I just found the expat website and think it does have some useful information- in fact it led me to your blog!- where I found some awesome information. I am in the process of attempting to move to England. I am 25, I will be finished with my Masters in Psychology in September,... Unfortunatley since I work at a homeless shelter as a case worker right now- I definitley do not score enough points in the finance department for a Tier 1 Visa at all... Which is really disappointing. I want to get my Ph.D. in Psychology as well, or I was thinking of a degree in International Law... I would love to study abroad, however, I am not sure what I want to do yet... Well, the most important part of this story-- 15 months ago tomorrow- I met the most amazing guy, the love of my life- and he is in England... I want to be with him. I have been in Arizona all my life, always wanted to live abroad, and don't have anything tying me down here, in my eyes it would be a positive change... I just do not know what would be better- to apply for the workers Visa... or try to apply right away for a student Visa... I thought it may be a better idea to get out there and work, save some money, get used to my new enviornment- quite a change from Arizona I imagine... So I was thinking work Visa, then once I figure out what I want to do school wise- apply then, maybe a year or so... Do you know if you can even do this? The confusing part to me is how to get a job in England... Do you apply from here (obviously they can't really meet or interview you from all the way over there...), or go there on the passport for a few months and apply then? You have already experienced so much of this so you are leaps and bounds ahead of me. :) I am just curious what your thoughts are, and also I would like to keep in touch to know how your situation turns out as well, and hopefully be able to share my experiences with you as well. Let me know what you think and thanks for all the great insights and info that your space has already provided to me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate the whole money part of the Visa process. Ugh.

    Anyways, my fiance and I have been maintaining our long distance relationship for almost two years now. It's hard and we can't wait to finally be able to live together! All the hard work and effort is worth it! :)

    ReplyDelete