Wednesday, February 17, 2010

US Home & Beauty items not found in the UK

I've been lucky to find most of the beauty items I used at home in the drugstore chains (Boots & Superdrug)--thank god for my Pantene Mousse for Curls!--but there are a growing number of items that I'm afraid I haven't been able to locate in my 6 months here:

Crest Toothpaste
Cetaphil products (cleanser, moisturizer)
Ponds Make-Up Remover Wipes & other Ponds products
Cover Girl Make Up
Sonia Kashuk Make Up (Target brand)
Coppertone sunscreens
Bullfrog sunscreens
SwimEar (ear drops for swimmers) -- 1/2010 update: finally found 1 Sainsbury's in B'ham that carries it

Also have not been able to find comparable products for these household items:

Goo Gone (removes residue from stickers, etc.)
Swiffer Duster and Swiffer Wet Mop
rubbing alcohol (isopropyl alcohol)
travel adapters that fit USA plugs to UK plugs (the ones here all fit UK plus to something else)
Method-brand liquid hand and body soaps
Dryel (dry-cleaning sheets to use in your own dryer)
Woolite Delicates wash (limited availability in some supermarkets)

Do you have any US items to add to this list?? Let me know....

3 comments:

  1. Hi, I chanced upon your blog when I was looking for Swiffer dusters in the UK. I just thought I'd let you know where you could find a few of your items or a possible equivalent:

    Swiffer Wet Mop - try Method oMop : http://www.methodproducts.co.uk/omop_almond.html - for use wet or dry, and although it states that it's for a wood floor, there's a new "All-purpose floor cleaner" which Method have just released, which you can use with the mop on other hard surfaces - available from Ocado.com
    Woolite Delicates wash - stocked by Sainsburys, Ocado.com (so Waitrose should have it too)

    Travel adaptor that fits US plugs - Lifesystems makes a Universal Travel Adaptor which fits plugs from anywhere and allows you to pick which pins come out depending on which country socket you need. Here's a link to a picture of one, along with information about which plugs it converts into which sockets - available online from several outdoor and travel retailers (I bought mine duty-free on a BA flight, and another updated model which has a USB socket to charge devices direct from the power socket for my husband): http://www.lifesystems.co.uk/psec/accessories/universal_travel_adaptor.htm

    Hope this helps :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Frances--I'm sure your comment will be helpful for others and also for me when I get back to the UK! Cheers :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you want isopropyl alcohol go into one of the afro-caribbean stores which are next to the oasis centre in town. My partner insists on using it instead of dettol

    ReplyDelete