Monday, November 23, 2009

I miss American TV

English TV kinda sucks. After 6 months of trying to get into Emmerdale, Coronation Street and the other UK nighttime soap dramas, I've pretty much given up. Unlike the soaps in America, who tend to make the lives of nearly all their characters look at least upper-middle class and somewhat glamorous, most of the UK soaps seem to focus on average, middle-class and lower-middle class folks, which offers little of the escapism that American TV provides.

The only prime-time shows I've followed here are the reality-TV hits 'Britain's Got Talent', 'X Factor' and 'I'm a Celebrity, Get Me Outta Here', mostly because the judges and hosts are so entertaining, and because they are on so frequently that it's hard to escape them.

Since we aren't getting the new fall series of 'Grey's Anatomy', 'America's Next Top Model' or 'Big Love' here in England yet, I have to console myself by watching 'The Hills' and 'The City' on MTV. When I'm watching them it feels like I'm back on my couch in L.A., and staying in touch with what's hot at home. It's kind of sad, because those shows are actually so disconnected from reality. Luckily we have the current season of 'Gossip Girl' and 'Project Runway' on right now, and we are only a week or so behind the US seasons, but I'm not sure if we will get 'LOST' or the new season of '24' yet. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment